Tips To Make Your Move Easier
Moving home can be a very exciting but also a stressful event. Moving into a new home is something we look forward to – as they say; “a change is as good as a holiday”. “Really”, says those of us who have recently moved. “Only after everything is in place and you have settled in”.
Here are a few handy tips to make that big move a little bit easier.
- Pack an overnight bag containing all the essentials so that you do not have to search in several places to find a toothbrush and bedlinen.
- Pack the items you will need FIRST in a clear plastic bin.
- Wrap your breakables (dishes, glasses, etc.) in clothing to save on bubble wrap.
- For extra padding, pack your glasses and stemware in clean socks.
- Pack plates vertically, like records. They’ll be less likely to break.
- Cover the openings of your toiletries with cling wrap, then put the tops back on.
- Keep drawers intact by covering them with cling film.
- Cling film is also great for keeping jewellery displays intact.
- Keep sandwich bags handy for holding any small parts of things you have to take apart, like curtain rods or mounted flat-screen TVs.
- Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go.
- In addition to labelling what’s in your boxes, add what room they’ll be going into, as well. Also number the boxes to make it easier to see if a box went missing.
- Fill the nail holes in your previous home with a bar of soap.
- If you can, show up to your new home before the move and pre-clean the bathroom and kitchen as well as the closets.
- Change your address at least two weeks prior to moving.
Author: Annemarie Swanepoel